English – Health Professionals from abroad

Diakonhjemmet Hospital is an ideal, non-profit corporation owned by the Diakonhjemmet Foundation. The Hospital has a General Services Agreement with Helse Sør-Øst RHF.

Radiologist looking at screen. Two nurses and MR-machine in the background

If you are interested in a position at Diakonhjemmet sykehus, please see our current job listings here.

Please note that it is obligatory to speak, read and write Norwegian (level B2 or completed the Bergen test), and for those positions that require an authorization it must be approved by the Norwegian authorities.

If you want more information contact us by e-mail personal@diakonsyk.no 

Welcome to apply for work at Diakonhjemmet sykehus!

Our employees are our most important resource. We aim to have a balanced composition in terms of gender and age, and to recruit qualified people with different backgrounds.

If you have not previously worked in Norway, there are a number of expectations that you must be aware of.

Language comprehension

In order to work with us you must have good skills in the Norwegian language equal to level B2 – European standard – you have to be an independent user. We require you to communicate in Norwegian with patients, relatives and colleagues at a high level – we must ensure our patients proper treatment. Danish and Swedish is accepted as an academic language.

Norwegian authorization

The Norwegian Directorate of Health is responsible for granting authorization required for all categories of professions within the legally regulated health sector.

Authorization represents a full and permanent approval, while licenses impose one or more limitations with respect to duration, independent or supervised practice/training etc.

The Register for Health Personnel (Helsepersonellregisteret) is continually updated and contains the names of those who have an authorization or license to work in Norway in all areas of the health sector.

A Norwegian authorization is required before employment in a position where authorization is required for Health Personnel. Information on how to apply, documentation requirements and processing time can be found at Helsedirektoratet.

Residence permit and registration certificate

A Residence Permit and Registration Certificate must be available before you start working.

Tax deduction and D number

Foreign workers must have a D-number to obtain a tax deduction.

Information on tax and D numbers, application forms and identification requirements can be found at Skatteetaten and www.nyinorge.no.

When applying for a tax card and ID verification, you get assigned a Norwegian identity number/D number.


If you move to Norway on a permanent basis you must find housing on the private market. You can find a good overview of housing for rent and for sale at www.finn.no. We can help you with further information.

Sist oppdatert 04.07.2023